The Dominion was built from 1908-1910 by J.S. Heyler. When it was completed it was the highest building in the British Empire standing 53 meters (175 feet) high. The building is known as one of the most colourful, charismatic heritage buildings in Vancouver due to its Beaux-Arts style, terracotta spandrels and Corinthian columns at the front entrance. Defined by the building lot, it is a trapezoidal building.